Silvie Falschlunger, Ph.D, CCE, CD, CLC
Member of the following organizations:
- Childbirth International
- Evidence Based Birth® Academy
- Institute of Integrative Nutrition
- Hudson Valley Birth Network
- Metropolitan Doula Group
- WOW – Woman of Wellness
I’m passionate about birth. First initiated by my personal interest about the impact of birth on our lives, and later sparked anew by the birth of my daughter: I had prepared for the big day, but the intensity of the experience took me by surprise. Nobody had talked about the amazing sensation of opening from the core, nobody had prepared me for the experience of a powerful oxytocin high. Studying to explore what this process is all about was a natural consequence. I got interested in a variety of approaches for informed, evidence based & fearless birthing considering short and long term effects on the mother and her baby. This brought along certifications in birth and postpartum doula work, varied approaches in childbirth education, breastfeeding counseling, baby massage and lately I added basic training in nutrition.
I also had and have the privilege to work along dedicated birth professionals and amazing mothers: courageous, determent and passionate to do the best possible for their children. My goal is to provide a comprehensive educational package from conception to well into postpartum to empower birthing women and their partners in their decisions and abilities, striving for nurturing, non-judgmental, hands-on support.
I have worked with first-time parents, second- and five times parents, VBAC parents, women with special medical and psychological needs, women whose husbands were unable to attend their birth, natural childbirth women, women who decided on a water birth, women choosing an epidural, and women who experienced Caesarean Birth — however the circumstances there is always this magical moment of welcoming a child!
I venture out from White Plains, NY and work with clients in Westchester, Southern Connecticut and New York City in a variety of settings: hospital, birthing center or home.
On a personal note: I am a native Austrian, studied Tibetan Philosophy and Psychology, Developmental Somatic Psychotherapy with an emphasis on developmental movement patterns and also hold a Ph.D. in art history. I live with my husband and daughter in White Plains, NY.
Trainings and Additional Certifications
Following my original training and certification as a birth doula, postpartum doula and childbirth educator with Childbirth International and my Lactation Counselor Certificate Training with Healthy Children’s Project, Inc. I have attended a series of conferences workshops/trainings:
- Hypnobirthing for Labor & Birth Support Doulas: The Mongan Method – Morrin Bass
- Labor Bag & ‘on Breech Presentations’ – Judith Halek
- Benefits & Non-Pharmacologic Ways to Reduce Stress & Pain in Labor and
- Use of the Rebozo for Optimal Positioning & Relaxation – both w. D.Pascali-Bonaro
- Workshop Exploring the Pelvic Floor – Isa Herrera
- Training in Reflexology – International Institute of Reflexology
- Spinning Babies workshop on fetal positioning – Gail Tully, CPM
- Perinatal Loss – Miriam Maslin
- Infant Resuscitation – Karen Strange
- Calm Birth Certificate Training – Eric Newman & Christa Novak
- Certificate Training in Baby-Massage – Infant Massage USA
- Amazing Babies Moving – Certificate Training with Beverly Stokes
- Training in Placenta Encapsulating – Hudson Valley Placenta Services
- Evidence Based® Birth – Rebecca Dekker / Instructor since 2015 till current
- Health Coaching – Institute for Integrative Nutrition / 2017
- Hormonal Health – Institute for Integrative Nutrition / 2018