Birth & Medical Research
- www.cochrane.org considered the ultimate opinion on current controversies in medicine
- www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez PubMed, to search medical journals
- www.evidencebasedbirth.com up to date research on birth specific topics
- www.avivaromm.com herbalist, midwife, functional medicine MD perspective
- www.spinningbabies.com with resources for optimal baby positioning
Choosing your Birth Place & Care-Provider
- NY – Hospital Statistics www.health.state.ny.us/statistics/facilities/hospital/maternity/westchester.htm
- NYS Homebirth Midwives Directory – https://www.nyhomebirth.com
- Free Standing Birth Center & Women’s Health Midwifery / Danbury www.CTBirthcenter.com
- International Caesarean Awareness Network – www.ican-online.org
- Vaginal Birth after a Caesarean Birth – www.VBAC.com
- Choices in Childbirth – www.choicesinchildbirth.org
- Childbirth Connection – www.childbirthconnection.org
Trusted Homebirth Midwives, Westchester NY & Southern CT
- Nuranisa Rae, CNM – www.nurmidwifery.com
- Sadie Moss Jones, CNM, IBCLC and Megan O’Connor, LMT, CM,CLC – beaconmidwifery.com
- Cara Muhlhahn, CNM – www.cmmidwifery.com
- Joni Stone, CPM – www.circleoflifemidwifery.com
- Gengi Proteau, CPM – www.hmmsfamilymidwifery.com
Local Birth Professionals
to find a variety of birth professionals working in the area
a community space with a variety of class & treatment offerings
trusted Breastfeeding resources
- www.hudsonvalleybreastfeeding.com / with link to local milk bank
A time proven valuable resource from experienced homebirth midwife Ina May Gaskin with a collection of inspiring birth stories and ‘tricks of the trade’.
The midwife and Jungian Scholar Pam England is introducing an integrative model of childbirth giving women the information needed to prepare for birth, how to think and feel about labor, and how to tell their story. During their childbearing year, women traverse two paths at once: an inner path of psychological and spiritual awareness and an outer path of practical approaches to birth in modern-day culture. The book combines scientific research with meditation, ceremony, art, and mythic stories, which not only prepares childbearing women to go beyond their edge into uncharted territory but to find their way home again. The underlying message throughout is not to strive for a perfect birth but to be mindful of the mythic journey, of all the mothers who have come before—an awareness that leads not only to the birth of a child but to the birth of a new self.
Penny Simkin is a physical therapist, childbirth educator and founder of DONA – doulas of North Amerika. She provides valuable information about the 3rd trimester, labor and early postpartum including medical interventions and it’s pros and cons and alternatives.
Lily Nichols provides research-based information how to optimize your nutrition in pregnancy and postpartum considering and explaining the physiological needs and pregnancy related special circumstances, like nausea, gestational diabetes, iron deficiency…. Includes recipes.
Check also her blog at www.lilynichilsrdn.com
Two experienced Lactation Consultants share their wisdom. Breastfeeding may be natural, but it may also be more challenging than you expect. Some mothers encounter doubts and difficulties, from struggling with the first few feedings to finding a gentle and loving way to comfortably wean from the breast
James McKenny, an anthropologist, and founder of the ‘sleep laboratory’ provides research-based information on safe sleep arrangements.